With a basic idea in my head, I created a shampoo bar recipe and calculated it to see how much lye I would need. I knew that anise was going to be the main scent, but I didn't wan't the scent to be too overpowering with licorice. So after thinking about it, I decided on adding some sweet fennel to the blend, which is still very close to anise, but I hoped, nonetheless, it would give the bar an extra note of calming sweetness. I also had the idea that I wanted to color this soap pitch black or slate gray to prevent the possible visual confusion of "Yes, this is our black licorice bar. No, as you can see, it's not really black." (Yes, questions like this are asked.) So, I asked my mom if I could use the rest of her activated charcoal powder capsules for a good cause. (Hopefully, nobody here is going to get poisoned any time soon, becaue the best remedy is officially gone.) I wasn't sure if I wanted to make a black swirl contrasting with the natural creamy yellow, because the Oasis and one of the 'new-and-soon-to-be-introduced' bars are both swirled, and besides that I wanted and was ready to try a new technique of color contrast. Making new bars is so fun!
I was about halfway to the tracing point, when I made up my mind about the technique I wanted to use. Layering. Only two layers, simple enough. The bottom was to be black and the top, uncolored, which is usually a creamy yellow due to the types of oils I use.
After the raw soap completed saponifying, and traced, I took a small portion out and whisked in a few generous teaspoons of activated charcoal powder, and then returned the soap to the batch.
After all the black goo was mixed into the soap, I divided the raw soap in two, and poured them into two separate log molds.
I covered the molds with another mold, and some old bath towels to insulate. Now, onto the second layer.
I am going to skip ahead to the dividing of the raw, uncolored soap. Here it is.
This is a picture my sister took of me pouring the second layer onto the first layer.
Neat. Wasn't expecting Pittsburg Steeler colors, but some people I know may like that.
Well, I'll be posting pictures soon of the cut and finished bars, and eventually, packaged. I still need a name for the soap, any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Yamali's Hunter and Fisherman's Shampoo Bar
Scented with black anise & sweet fennel
I think this batch will be like all the others....made with love. I have used your shampoo bar and it makes my hair so smooth. Notlike that store bought junk! All the other soaps are equally great. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteKBNG
Thanks KBNG! Thank you for being such an encouraging little sister! I love you! I am so glad that you are enjoying my shampoo bars, and hearing that makes me want to make more!
DeleteI LOVE YOU!!!
Your sister,
Emma